Nothing is more important than how you feel and think about yourself. However, there are so many things that affect those feelings. Negative childhood experiences, the demise of a valued relationship, or even the lost of a job can have an effect on how you are self-valued. No matter what the cause of how you feel, it is imperative to find an upside to it. You can do so by asking yourself what you can learn from your negative experiences and then make a vow to focus on optimism.
For many, many years low self-esteem held me in bondage and as I was coming out, I made a list of things that could help me. One of them was using positive quotes to help inspire and move me forward. To this very day, I have each of the following quotes on my wall to help keep me uplifted, driven and focused.
1) “You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.”….Buddha
2) “Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.”….Eleanor Roosevelt
3) “Self-care is never a selfish act…it is simply good stewardship of the only gift I have, the gift I was put on earth to offer to others.”….Parker Palmer
4) “Why should we worry about what others think of us; do we have more confidence in their opinions than we do our own?…Brigham Young
5) “Be faithful to that which exists within yourself.”…Andre Gide
6) “You are very powerful, provided you know how powerful you are.”…Yogi Bhajan
7) “If you are not good at loving yourself, you will have a difficult time loving anyone, since you’ll resent the time and energy you give another person that you aren’t even giving to yourself.”….Barbara De Angelis
8) “When I loved myself enough, I began leaving whatever wasn’t healthy. This meant people, jobs, my own beliefs and habits…anything that kept me small. My judgment called it disloyal. Now I see it as self-loving.”…Kim McMillen
9) “It took me a long time not to judge myself through someone else’s eyes.”….Sally Field
10) “There are days that I drop words of comfort on myself like falling leaves and remember that it is enough to be taken care of by myself.”….Brian Andreas
Along with these quotes that I read almost daily, there is another saying that I recite when I am doubting myself. As stated by Oprah Winfrey, “Self-esteem comes from being able to define the world in your own terms and refusing to abide by the judgment of others.”